Commercial FAQs

Q:  Why should I authorize the NRBMLC to represent me?

A:  If you do not authorize the NRBMLC to represent you for music licensing proceedings, you will automatically be licensed by ASCAP, etc. under the terms negotiated by the Radio Music License Committee (the “RMLC”).

Q:  My station is predominately talk-formatted.  Do I need to have music licenses?

A:  If your stations plays “incidental” or “ambient” music, we strongly advise you to have a license with all three P.R.O.s – ASCAP, BMI and SESAC – in order to cover uses of copyrighted music found in themes, jingles, bumpers and intros that are present in most programming.

Q:  What copyrights are covered by the P.R.O.s?

A:  ASCAP, BMI and SESAC license the public performance copyright for “musical works,” which are the underlying composition of a song performed over your station.  It doesn’t matter whether the copyrighted musical work is a recording or a live performance, if it is publicly performed on your station it must be licensed.

Q:  What happens if I play unlicensed music?

A:  You would be infringing on a copyright if you are performing it over your airwaves without a license.  Copyright law provides for judgments as high as $100,000 for each infringement.

Q:  Who is SoundExchange?

A:  SoundExchange is the collective for the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America).  They collect and distribute sound recording royalties paid to them by Internet radio simulcasters.

Q:  How is the NRBMLC supported?

A:  NRBMLC is supported by contributions from its members, either in cash or through  spot inventory donations (which are packaged into NRBMLC Network and resold).