In broadcast music licensing there are two types of licenses – Blanket and Per Program. The Blanket license is used by stations that principally air music. Typically, if music constitutes more than 50% of the programming, then the Blanket license should be used. The Blanket license allows the station to program unlimited amounts of music without a significant amount of record-keeping and reporting paper work.

The Per Program license is more complicated and requires some extensive music reporting, but it can be much less expensive than the Blanket license. It is used by talk and mixed-format stations. There are periodic music reports to file under the ASCAP and BMI per program licenses.